SQA HND Computing : Software Development
The cutting-edge curriculum of the HND in Software Development is specially designed to enhance the practical skills and knowledge of candidates who wish to obtain a job oriented qualification and cater to the demands of the dynamic ICT industry at both local and international levels.
The HND in Software Development also provides a pathway for direct entry into the 3rd (Final) year of a BSc/BEng Honours Degree offered by Northshore College and many other recognised Universities worldwide.
- Age should be minimum 16 years (to register with SQA) AND
- A/L with 2 passes + Credit for English at O/L OR
- O/L with Credit for English + Diploma in Computer Science and Web Technology or Business Information Technology offered by Northshore College of Business and Technology OR
- O/L with Credit for English + ICT Diploma from any other recognised institution, of a duration of minimum 4 months
Mode of Study & Duration
- Full Time – 18 Months
- Part Time – Weekends – 24 Months
Flexible Payment Plans (including monthly payments) and Special Scholarships are available
Diploma in English Programme will be offered by the Northshore College free of charge to the HND candidates as a value addition
Job Opportunities available for HND Holders
- Associate Software / QA Engineer
- Network Administrator
- Hardware Technician
- Web Designer/Developer
- Systems Analyst
- IT Executive
- Business Analyst
SQA HND @ Northshore College of Business and Technology
- Globally recognised qualification
- Equivalent to 1st and 2nd years of a UK Honours Degree and certain degree programmes offered locally
- Direct entry into 3rd year of a Computing degree especially from UK, Australia, Canada Universities
- Assignment based assessments.
- Well-equipped computer lab facilities and all other modern amenities
- Real university learning environment
- Job placement opportunities
- Developing System: Introduction
This Unit is about introducing candidates to the systems development process. It provides a broad knowledge of systems development and candidates will be able to apply the main techniques used in systems analysis and design.
- Developing Software: Introduction
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to develop basic software development skills, programming base on Python programming language.
- Professionalism and Ethics in Computing
This Unit is designed to provide candidates with a knowledge and understanding of professional issues, including contemporary legislation, and ethical considerations for those fulfilling a computing related role within the workplace.
- Computer Systems Fundamentals
This Unit is designed to provide candidates with the knowledge of the various hardware and software elements of a computer system, how to install an operating system and install and configure application and security software.
- Configuring a Desktop Operating System
This Unit is designed to introduce candidates to the issues involved in installing, configuring, troubleshooting and maintaining a client operating system
- Troubleshooting Computer Problems
This Unit is designed to provide candidates with the skills required to develop a possible solution to a computing problem in the context of computer networking, software development or technical support.
- Network Concepts
The Unit is designed to provide candidates with the knowledge and skills involved in installing and supporting both internal and external computer networks.
- Web Development Fundamentals
- Computing: Graded Unit 1
This Graded Unit has been validated as part of the HNC in Computing to assess your skills.
- Mathematics for Computing 1
This Unit is designed to allow candidates to acquire the fundamental mathematical knowledge required to apply computing techniques to problem situations effectively.
- Team Working in Computing
This Unit will provide candidates with the opportunity to develop effective skills for team working in the context of computing. Candidates will develop cooperative working skills which will include negotiation of goals, roles and responsibilities in the development of a team-based Information and Communication Technology (ICT) project.
- Developing Mobile Web Based Applications: An Introduction
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to develop knowledge and skills to meet a client brief to develop a prototype database driven website based on ASP.NET environment.
- Human Computer Interaction
This Unit is designed to provide an introduction to the considerations when designing and creating interfaces for systems
- Systems Development: Testing Software
This Unit is designed to provide candidates with knowledge and skills required to test programmes to establish the presence of system defects
- Systems Development: Object Oriented Analysis and Design
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to develop a knowledge of the theoretical concepts, underlying principles, scope and role of systems analysis and design undertaken within an object oriented environment.
- Software Development: Object Oriented Programming
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to develop a broad knowledge of the concepts, principles, and techniques of object-oriented software development based on C# and Java programming languages.
- Software Development: Data Structures
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to become familiar with the data structures, implementing data structures based on C#, Java and collection classes in common use within current software development environments
- Relational Database Management Systems
This Unit is designed to introduce candidates to the design and creation of a Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
- Self-Describing Data (XML)
This Unit is designed to provide candidates with the knowledge of the use of self-describing data in communicating data between a wide range of applications
- Mathematics for Computing 2
This Unit is about preparing candidates to model real problem situations mathematically and apply advanced mathematical techniques (at pre-calculus level) that can be implemented by a computer.
- Web Development: Producing a Data Driven Website
This Unit is designed to enable candidates to develop knowledge and skills to meet a client brief to develop a prototype database driven website based on PHP.
- Computing: Software Development: Graded Unit 2 (Project)
This Graded Unit has been validated as part of the HND Computing: Software Development.
Please Click Here for e-brochure.